43 FAST AND EASY WAYS TO SAVE MONEY TODAY!
Saving, saving, saving. 43 fast and easy ways to save money today! Saving is extremely important because it gives us a financial base to do many things in life:
- Retire when we want
- Having financial security for our family
- And so much more!
Many of us think that saving is tough and that it takes too long. We rather spend our money today for instant gratification. The truth of the matter is without debt, saving to do what we want in life does not take very long. The truth of the matter is saving is fast and easy! Here are 43 fast and easy ways to save money today!
Simple ways to save around the house
- Shut off lights not being used.
- Don’t leave the TV or radio on when not being used.
- Invite your friends over for a potluck, you supply the house and utensils and water, they bring the food!
- Take care of clothing and household items so they will last longer.
- Turn down the thermostat at night while you sleep and during the day when you are at work. Wear thicker clothing in the house to stay warm during the winter.
- Insulate your house, cover up patio doors that are not used during winter months with insulation.
- Seal windows and doors to eliminate drafts.
- Plant an edible garden.
- Use a simple cleaning mixture such as water and vinegar to clean the exterior of windows and siding instead of purchasing expensive cleaning chemicals.
- Use blinds and drapes to block the sun out your house to help keep it cool.
- Find a roommate and cut down on your rent or mortgage payment!
- Cut down on the the most expensive grocery items. Meats, dairy and convenience items such as granola bars are expensive. Substituting these foods with others such as chick peas, lentils and beans will give you the same, if not more, protein and contain a number of vitamins and other nutrients.
- When you feel like you need to eat try having a glass of water first and waiting 20 minutes. You may realize you simply needed hydration rather than food.
Simple ways to save on your vehicle
- Carpool to save on fuel.
- Use public transportation to save from purchasing a vehicle and insurance.
- Keep your tires inflated to the recommended levels so your car can travel efficiently.
- Make sure to keep your car regularly washed to prevent the buildup of salts and chemicals that encourage rust.
- Maintain your car with regular oil changes and air filter changes, remember your car has an engine and cabin filter
- Use a front window cover/reflector to block the sun on a hot day instead of blasting your AC.
- Keep your car in the garage to shelter it from harmful weather (i.e. hail).
- Use seat covers to protect the seat fabric from everyday wear and tear.
- Clean out and vacuum the inside of your car on a regular basis to reduce garbage that could cause stains and other interior damage.
- Use Rain-X Original Glass Water Repellent to save from having to use window washer fluid and from wearing down your window wiper blades.
- Get window and paint chips fixed immediately before you have to replace an entire window or repaint an entire part of your vehicle.
Simple ways to save on your daily spending
- Use reusable containers to store stuff and to drink water from.
- Try to buy items you would normally use on sale, buying items you do not need, even though they are on sale, does not help you save.
- Prepare your lunches at the beginning of the work week which saves you time throughout the week and decreases the amount of times you eat out.
- Reduce your expenditure on eating out by cooking meals ahead of time or eating out on discount nights.
- Ensure you’re maximizing your points systems (air miles etc) without overspending just to earn points.
- Do not go grocery shopping when you are hungry.
- Break bad habits; remove the temptation of impulse buys and other costly habits.
- Brew coffee at home you could just save yourself $1,784.85.
Simple ways to save on debt
- Determine if you can afford a purchase based on total purchase price and not just based on the monthly payments.
- Set up a repayment schedule and budget BEFORE incurring debt.
- Make accelerated payments on your debt, this reduces interest exponentially.
- Make a larger down payment on debt to decrease the overall amount you owe.
- Take advantage of anniversary payment options.
- Shop around and negotiate on mortgages, for a great read check out our Mortgage Talk series.
- Avoid auto loans, they generally carry higher rates of increase, if you can afford to borrow to purchase a car, try a home equity line of credit.
- Do not carry balances on your credit card, if you do not have enough cash to make the purchase don’t put it on your credit card.
- Set up a micro savings plan – automatic transfer of $1 a day to savings or paying down debt so that you can save and pay down debt without thinking about it.
Simple ways to save while making a difference
- Volunteer your time to a local charity or community organization instead of making a cash donation.
- Help elderly neighbours or those less mobile to and from the local store, to and from the park; even helping them carry groceries from their car is a great way to lend a helping hand.
- Sell unused household items, make some extra cash and have your stuff go to someone who needs it more than you do.
Bonus way to save